The Ever Popular Ankle Boot
Fashionable boots come in various shapes and styles, but one design has firmly cemented its position as one of the most popular styles for women throughout history, the ankle boot. From spike-heeled and platformed to sturdy designs inspired by durable workwear, the popularity of ankle boots may be because they are one of the most versatile footwear options. Find out how ankle boots are still a popular footwear choice today, along with some great tips on styling ankle boots for your outfits.
Ankle Boots Throughout History
Over the years, many popular fashion trends have come and gone, from accessories and clothing to footwear. As hemlines began to rise in the 19th and early 20th centuries, many women searched for fashionable footwear, and stylish ankle boots quickly became popular. Often seen as a socially acceptable alternative to completely baring their ankles, women searched for practical boots that often-featured decorative details such as elaborate stitching and colorful trims.
A great example is the 1920s when American brand Red Wing designed their first ever women’s boot, named the ‘Gloria’, which featured carefully crafted hand-stitching, a stacked leather heel, and a traditional laced design. Red Wing’s designs haven’t changed that much over the years, and the brand’s current range of women’s boots is still expertly made to the highest standards. These heritage-inspired ankle boots have proven to be a fashionable yet durable style that has remained popular for over a century.
You only need to look at recent fashion catwalks to see how ankle boots have stayed popular. This year, while Chanel is embracing tweed and jumpsuits, and Diesel and Isabel Marant are embracing denim, boots are always an ongoing trend for autumn and winter. The most significant moments for the catwalk for late 2022 fashion trends may include thigh-high ankle boots, but also flat ankle boots are also in as well.
The catwalk is just one way to see how iconic fashion labels demonstrate ankle boots styled with various clothes, colors, accessories, and patterns. Although ankle boots might pair with denim jeans, there are plenty of other ways to style them.
Outfit Styling Tips for Ankle Boots
If you have ever stood in front of the mirror wondering why your boots don’t look right, you are not alone. The popularity of ankle boots occurred because you can match them with leather, denim jeans, dresses, and blazers. These shoes could be acceptable work attire if your workplace allows employees to wear business casual attire. If you need some inspiration, check out these helpful ankle boots styling tips:
- If you are wearing a long dress or trousers, consider opting for a shorter-height ankle boot as the fitted design will sit nicely against the line of your clothes.
- If you like to tuck your jeans into your boots, wide ankle boots are a great choice as they will give plenty of room to tuck the hem into your boots neatly. If there is still a bulge, try cuffing your jeans so they sit just at the top of your boots.
- If you want to make a fashion statement, boots that match the color of your trousers or tights always look amazing and will help you appear taller.
- Low heel or flat ankle boots are great for creating a casual look – pair them with your favorite jeans and a leather jacket, and you will have a stylish outfit perfect all year.
- If you’re looking to create a more dressed-up feel, opt for a heel and pair them with a dress or midi skirt – this outfit will look great with tights or bare legs.
Choosing the Best Styles
The catwalk is always a great source of inspiration regarding footwear styles. However, ultimately, it’s always best to choose a style that makes you feel comfortable and confident. From the sky-high styles often popular with Louis Vuitton and Balenciaga to practical options such as Doc Martens and Red Wing, the following are some top tips for keeping up with the popularity of ankle boots and choosing the best styles for you:
- The most flattering ankle boots will be those which cut across the narrowest part of your leg, as these will highlight the slimmest part of your ankle/leg.
- If you are petite in height, longer ankle boots will help to elongate your legs, whereas, for taller people, a more extended size in the heels will shorten your legs.
- Similarly, a broader ankle on the boots will help to make your legs look slimmer. Whereas, if you have very narrow ankles, we recommend avoiding a wide fit as the style may look loose and unflattering.
- Another great tip to elongate your legs is to choose a pointed toe, which will also help to make your legs look slimmer. A rounded or square toe is a great choice to make legs appear shorter or curvier.
- In the same way, as high-heel stilettos will make you appear taller and slimmer, heeled ankle boots will boost your silhouette.
- A chunky block heel is a very stylish choice at the moment and will flatter all figures.
Feature Image: Valentino Womenswear Spring/Summer 2022 show as part of Paris Fashion Week on October 01, 2021, in Paris, France. (Photo by Peter White/Getty Images)